Monday, March 17, 2008

Results are in...

And I was right, I have to do IVF for sure. The doctor went through all of the results and was really good about explaining everything, even when I was asking a ton of questions. The RE seemed surprised that I knew a lot of the lingo and had good questions. I got two HUGE packets of info and consent forms. Here's the scoop...

DH's sperm tests were normal, morphology was sub-par so we'll want to do ICSI with IVF. This is the method where every egg is injected with one single perfect sperm. Picture below. It is quite amazing and increases the chances of a chromosomal-normal embryo.

My FSH levels are the reason for IVF. However, my antral follicle count (AFC) was actually 10-15 on each side as I initially thought, so I have a lot of eggs left. We're over that hurdle. Hooray!!! The RE said that the high FSH signals a decline in egg quality. If we wait awhile the chances start decreasing rapidly that we'll get pregnant. It's quite a catch 22, usually high FSH goes with diminished ovarian reserve. My problem isn't the count but rather the quality. But with more eggs they will have a bigger and better chance of transferring back the best of the best - to result in a pregnancy. Remember it just takes one perfect embryo! Or maybe 2... for twins :)

The plan is as follows; finish this cycle out. When my next AF shows, I'll use that month *likely April* to do the IVF pre-tests. They make you have one month between using Clomid and IVF, to flush out your system. Then a few days before the next AF after the flush cycle I'll start on birth control pills for 14 days (ironic huh?) to increase egg quality. This will start my IVF cycle *May* and will be followed by an overlap of daily Lupron shots, and then 10 days of twice daily shots of FSH/LH and the Lupron (so 3 shots). Through this 10 days I'll be monitored daily to chart estrogen levels (they want steady increase) and see the size of the follies developing. Once they are about 18mm I'll get an HCG shot and 36 hours later they'll retrieve my eggs. At the same time DH will give a sperm sample. Once both are collected, they will perform ICSI on all of the eggs and allow them to develop for 3 days. On day 3 we can transfer 3 eggs back into my uterus or wait 2 more days and on day 5 transfer 2.

Short and sweet recap:
* March - finish cycle.
* April - Cycle off & testing, consent forms, insurance, possibly begin wellness class.
* May - IVF cycle #1. Lots of shots and doctor appointments and hopefully a positive pregnancy test!

They expect the number of eggs to drop off every day after retrieval; here is a rough example:

Retrieved: 30 eggs.
* Of these 25 will be mature and ICSI will be done.
* Approx 20 will fertilize and continue to develop. They are evaluated in 3 days.
* On day 5 approx 6-7 eggs will have developed normally and can be used.
* No more than 2 will be transferred on day 5, 3 can be transferred on day 3.
* Any remaining eggs will be left to develop for a few more days and then frozen for a future cycle.
The reason they transfer so few eggs, is because on a day 5 transfer of 2 eggs the likelihood of both implanting and developing into a fetus is 60%. Twins!

Some of the questions I had:

-What is the likelihood of a canceled cycle? For me she probably wouldn't cancel the cycle, typically if FHS is above 20 the results dramatically decline and they cancel. My RE said that because of how many eggs I have she would probably retrieve and fertilize them, and then allow them to develop and freeze them for the next cycle with lower FSH.

-What is the biggest reason IVF fails? Egg quality. Just because an egg looks perfect, it might not continue to develop right. Sometimes the endometrium plays a part if the egg can't properly implant. But most of the time the egg is the reason.

-Do we have other options or is this it? Realistically this is it. You could do Clomid for a few more cycles. However, all that does is bring your chances up to the same chances (20% each month) of the general population. IVF sets you above par with the population and is more likely to succeed.

-How would you categorize our chances? Very optimistic. RE would put us in the "good" category, not excellent and not poor. Our chances look good for IVF to work.

-Why does this happen? They don't really know yet, and haven't figured out a way to 'reverse the clock' on biological aging.

I was so relieved to hear the news and have answers to my most pressing questions. Mainly I was just glad to have a solid answer; IVF is it. Even better news about the high AFC, low egg quality sucks but is manageable; there is hope and the RE is optimistic! They say if IVF is going to work it will likely work in the first 3 cycles. If all works out well I will have enough embies to freeze and do a frozen transfer after the first IVF cycle so the cost is cut.

This whole process will cost us $12-15k for one try. The frozen cycles typically cost $2k. Luckily my parents have committed to paying any fees after all of our insurance is used. We are so lucky. I really can't wait to get started.

It's so nice to have a month off in between, it will also be our 2nd wedding anniversary in April. We're planning a trip to Victoria BC to celebrate our anniversary (my best friend and her husband may come too!!!). I'm so thankful for my supportive husband, best friend and parents. This weekend could have been really rough but I am positive.

My best friend is being really cute (sorry to call you out LeLe). We were discussing the camp trip at dinner last night and I suggested making beer cozy's with a slogan on it for fun (last year we made t-shirts). So she replies, that's a good idea but you won't be drinking. I totally didn't get it and then it dawned on me, she was being positive and saying I'll be pg by then!!! :)
That's all the news for now!!!

No comments: